After you step back into the civilian world, after many years away, you may experience a myriad of different feelings, such as:
- Feeling uncomfortable with the lack of structure and goals compared to military life
- Longing for the adrenaline rush of physical and life-challenging situations
- Concern about finances due to the lack of job security
- A perfectionist attitude in work and other areas of life
- Annoyance at others who seem more easygoing or less detail-oriented than you
- Isolation or loneliness because others may not understand some of your military experiences
But like many of the challenges that you’ve faced in the past, these are some you can overcome by putting your mind to work. By making a plan and outlining the steps to navigate these challenges, you can have a successful military to civilian transition.