Trident University International

LIVING A LIFE OF SERVICE AS A VETERAN: SUPPORTING THE MILITARY IN MY LOCAL COMMUNITY

Posted by Al Rigual on Oct 23, 2017 6:43:43 PM

After 21 years of service in the Army, I became a veteran in 1997. I chose to dedicate the next chapter of my life to service as well, teaching leadership to high school students. So, I wore my uniform for an additional eight years, motivating and educating these young men and women to be better citizens.

Being in the military for so many years made me a better person and I’m proud to have served, and that makes me want to help others. The opportunities given to me have allowed me to advise others and help them navigate life better. When I became a faculty member at a high school, many respected me because of my background, but I was also able to become close to many of my students through mentoring.

Read More

Topics: Veterans, Military Education, Military, Veteran Education, Military to Civilian Transition

SERVING IN THE MILITARY AS A SINGLE MOTHER – BALANCING LIFE AND CAREER

Posted by Deena Mullins on Oct 18, 2017 1:12:20 PM

We’re all faced with challenges in life, some greater than others. For me, it was balancing duties as a single mother and serving in the the United States Army. While my children were my number one priority, my career could not take a backseat.

As my children grew, so did my responsibilities in the Army. I was faced with promotions, the possibility of deployments, transfers, and much more – the same as my fellow service members. But no matter the situation, the well-being of my children was always at the top of my mind. They factored into every decision I had to make.

Read More

Topics: Military, Military to Civilian Transition

3 WAYS TO IMPROVE COMMUNICATION ON THE JOB

Posted by Cindy Wiley on Oct 6, 2017 5:09:31 PM

The strict, top-down command management method seems to have fallen out of favorin today’s workplace. The idea of one person at the top who has all the answers doesn’t fit with the diverse abilities, perspectives, education, and experience of the current workforce in many organizations.

Read More

Topics: Career Services, Careers, Communication, Military to Civilian Transition

4 STEPS TO THE GOVERNMENT HIRING PROCESS

Posted by Cindy Wiley on Jul 31, 2017 10:23:20 AM

Once you've submitted your application, the waiting game begins. If you've done everything right up to this point, you have a good shot at advancing in the review process.

This is what you can expect after you submit your application on USAJOBS. Good luck, and hopefully you make it through all four steps!

1. Application review – The agency you’ve applied to begins the review process when the job announcement closes. They will review your application to make sure you're eligible and meet the qualifications for the position. From here, they will place applicants into quality categories. Those placed in the highest category are sent to the hiring official. The application status of these applicants will change to "Referred." All other applicants (not being considered) will see a "Not Referred" status.

Read More

Topics: Career Services, Veterans, Military, Careers, Military to Civilian Transition

SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION ON USAJOBS - 5 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW

Posted by Cindy Wiley on Jul 29, 2017 7:00:00 AM

Both military and civilian professionals have found that working for the federal government was the right choice to advance their careers. If you are considering this option for yourself, here are more tips to help you get your foot in the door for a federal government job.

1. Create a USAJOBS profile – First, you need to create an account and complete your profile to apply to any job on USAJOBS. With a USAJOBS account and profile you can bookmark job postings, save and automate job searches, and manage everything needed to complete your application, including resumes and required documents.

Read More

Topics: Career Services, Veterans, Careers, Alumni, Military to Civilian Transition

4 TIPS FOR APPLYING FOR A FEDERAL GOVERNMENT JOB

Posted by Cindy Wiley on Jul 28, 2017 9:24:07 AM

Both military and civilian professionals have found that working for the federal government was the right choice to advance their careers. If you are considering this option for yourself, here are some tips to increase your chances of getting a federal government job.

1. One of the best websites for finding federal government jobs is gov. There are an average of 14,000 jobs listed on any given day. Furthermore, since there is no limit on how many applications you can submit on this website, you can increase your chances of finding the right job.
Read More

HOW I HAVE HANDLED MY POST-TRAUMATIC STRESS

Posted by Phil Johndrow on Jun 29, 2017 2:09:32 PM

While I was on my third tour in Iraq, serving as the 1st Cavalry Division Command Sergeant Major (CSM) and the Multi National Division – Baghdad Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Commanding General during the Iraq surge, I was involved in some of the toughest fighting in the war. There were 110,000 coalition soldiers, which at the time was the largest formation under one division colors.

We experienced tremendous losses every day. For about six months, I attended a memorial for a fallen hero almost every night – many were men and women I considered friends. I spent a lot of time in my trailer feeling the loss, sometimes allowing my own thoughts to get the best of me.

Read More

Topics: Veterans, Military, Student Success, Military to Civilian Transition

7 REASONS TO CONSIDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT FOR YOUR NEXT JOB

Posted by Cindy Wiley on Apr 14, 2017 1:13:31 PM

Have you considered what it’s like to work for the federal government? Whether you have a military or civilian background, here are seven reasons why working for the federal government could be a fit for you.

1. A meaningful job. The work of government employees impacts the lives of every American, and the lives of people around the world.
  1. Jobs for every skillset and every interest. From accounting to zoology, there is a federal government job suited to your interest and/or skillset.
Read More

Topics: Career Services, Veterans, Webinars, Careers, Military to Civilian Transition

PROFILES IN SUCCESS: DR. VINCENT HAVRILKO

Posted by Daniel Sloan on Feb 23, 2017 4:36:58 AM

Dr. Vincent Havrilko is an Air Force civilian serving the 366th Logistics Readiness Squadron, 366th Mission Support Group, 366th Fighter Wing, Air Combat Command at Mountain Home AFB in Idaho. He served for 22 years in the Air Force, retiring as a Master Sergeant.  

Dr. Havrilko completed a Ph.D. in Business Administration at Trident, as well as degrees at the master’s and bachelor’s levels. He is one of only nine alumni to have earned a degree at each program level from Trident.
Read More

Topics: PhD Degrees, Business Adminstration, Military, Glenn R. Jones College of Business, Military to Civilian Transition

4 OF THE BEST FEATURES OF TRIDENT’S NEW VIRTUAL CAREER CENTER

Posted by Cindy Wiley on Oct 28, 2016 9:30:15 AM

Most of you are already familiar with Trident’s Center for Career Planning and Workforce Strategies. While the Center does not place students in jobs and cannot guarantee any particular employment, the Center offers many services to our students and alumni, such as job search resources, career advancement and development support, employment information and connection, etc.

We are proud to announce the launch of Trident’s New Virtual Career Center offering all these services and more in an online, virtual format you can use any time of the day or night.

Here are 4 of the best features of our New Virtual Career Center that will help you with your job search and your career development:

Read More

Topics: Career Services, Careers, Military to Civilian Transition