Trident University International

LIVING A LIFE OF SERVICE AS A VETERAN: SUPPORTING THE MILITARY IN MY LOCAL COMMUNITY

Posted by Al Rigual on Oct 23, 2017 6:43:43 PM

After 21 years of service in the Army, I became a veteran in 1997. I chose to dedicate the next chapter of my life to service as well, teaching leadership to high school students. So, I wore my uniform for an additional eight years, motivating and educating these young men and women to be better citizens.

Being in the military for so many years made me a better person and I’m proud to have served, and that makes me want to help others. The opportunities given to me have allowed me to advise others and help them navigate life better. When I became a faculty member at a high school, many respected me because of my background, but I was also able to become close to many of my students through mentoring.

Read More

Topics: Veterans, Military Education, Military, Veteran Education, Military to Civilian Transition

RETURNING TO SCHOOL? HERE ARE 3 WAYS TO PREPARE

Posted by Joseph Chan on Apr 24, 2017 10:40:40 AM

Have you wanted to take your skills to the next level, perhaps for a promotion or to break into a new industry? Education will help you get there, but before you get started make sure you’re adequately prepared to begin your studies.

Here are some ways to prepare yourself before starting a degree program:

1. Admit Your Fears
The first step on your journey is to admit your fears.  These fears and concerns are also shared by other working professionals who are considering going back to school, whether it is a traditional college setting or online. By acknowledging your worries upfront, these challenges can be dispelled through understanding their cause and proactively addressing them.

Self-assessments are often helpful, and will help you as you advance further into your chosen program.

Read More

Topics: Veterans, Military Education, Veteran Education, Bachelor's Degrees

TOP 5 REASONS TO CONTINUE YOUR EDUCATION DURING THE HOLIDAYS

Posted by Jennifer Tejada on Nov 21, 2016 7:28:02 PM

The 2016 holiday season is upon us already, and we all know how busy this time of year can be! Many people adjust their schedules and temporarily eliminate some activities in order to make time for the demands of this hectic season!

Read More

Topics: Online Learning, Study Tips, Military Education, Student Success

PROFILES IN SUCCESS: JOSIE MILLER

Posted by Daniel Sloan on Oct 26, 2016 8:20:09 AM

Josie Miller is a 2016 graduate of Trident’s Master of Science in Health Sciences program, as well as the winner of a 2016 Council of College and Military Educators (CCME) scholarship. Miller currently volunteers as a public health liaison and a mentor for an at-risk youth program in Port Orchard, WA.    

Trident: How did your experience at Trident allow you to focus on and develop your career?

Josie Miller: While attending Trident I was afforded the opportunity as a student representative to volunteer 12.5-hours of public health service for the Seattle/King County (SKC) Clinic in October 2015.  According to the SKC Team, a total of 4,010 patients (majority of which were homeless or from low income households) received over $3 million in health and dental care services.  Although I am familiar and have previous experience with community outreach programs, working as a volunteer for the SKC event presented network opportunities with fellow public health peers, as well as introductions to a variety of professional disciplines for future community health resources and opportunities.  

Read More

Topics: Military Education, Master's Degrees, Veteran Education, College of Health and Human Services, Military to Civilian Transition

ONLINE LEARNING IN THE EARLY DAYS AT TRIDENT

Posted by Trident University on Oct 7, 2016 12:00:00 PM

This article, authored by former Trident professor Dr. Steven J. Gold, originally appeared in the TUI Network in 2012.

Joining Trident University in 1999, about one month before we opened our doors for business, was like stepping into the wild west of technology and teaching. We had a plan, we had a detailed model to help guide the University, and it all conceptually was perfect. But actually making it happen, three, and soon five, faculty members (with maybe 9 students at first) getting our hands dirty and trying to figure out what would really work technologically, pedagogically, so this vision of quality education could be realized at Trident, well, they were days that will never come again.

The sense of play in a startup organization is unnerving but fabulously exciting. And as our Director of Instructional Services I made sure we played hard until we came up with a routine that really worked for the Trident students. Technology was always the main challenge. We were always about solving problems with ideas, not wasting money on shiny metal objects; the pedagogy always drove the choice of technologies.

Read More

Topics: PhD Degrees, Faculty, Online Learning, Military Education, Veteran Education

HACKERS HELP TO STRENGTHEN U.S. CYBER SECURITY

Posted by Dr. Pietro Savo on Sep 7, 2016 11:10:44 AM

Note: this is the follow-up to a blog on cyber security and hacking that we posted last month.

Earlier this year, the United States government hired a team of hackers to exploit flaws in the Pentagon’s Cyber Systems. A system penetration occurred not once, not twice, but over 130 times.

This was part of the Department of Defense’s "Hack the Pentagon" event, which was labeled as the first ever "bug bounty" in the US federal government history. Over 1,400 hackers were contacted to take part in this exercise, invited to find cyber security weaknesses with five government public websites, including defense.gov, between April 18 and May 12. During that period, the hackers reported 1,189 vulnerabilities, with 138 of them determined to be "legitimate, unique and eligible for a bounty.”

Read More

Topics: Information Systems, Military Education, Veteran Education, Cybersecurity

TIPS FOR TRANSITIONING FROM MILITARY TO CIVILIAN LIFE (PART 2)

Posted by Phil Johndrow on Sep 2, 2016 7:23:43 AM

This is the second part of a special two part blog series from United States Army veteran and Trident's National Director of Military and Veterans Alliances, Philip F. Johndrow. Come back to our blog tomorrow to see the final part of this blog. Read the first part here.

After you step back into the civilian world, after many years away, you may experience a myriad of different feelings, such as:

• Feeling uncomfortable with the lack of structure and goals compared to military life
  • Longing for the adrenaline rush of physical and life-challenging situations
  • Concern about finances due to the lack of job security
  • A perfectionist attitude in work and other areas of life
  • Annoyance at others who seem more easygoing or less detail-oriented than you
  • Isolation or loneliness because others may not understand some of your military experiences

But like many of the challenges that you’ve faced in the past, these are some you can overcome by putting your mind to work. By making a plan and outlining the steps to navigate these challenges, you can have a successful military to civilian transition.

Read More

Topics: Veterans, Military Education, Military, Veteran Education

TIPS FOR TRANSITIONING FROM MILITARY TO CIVILIAN LIFE (PART 1)

Posted by Phil Johndrow on Aug 31, 2016 6:00:00 PM

I joined the United States Army when I was 19 years old and I retired when I was 53. As an adult, the military was all I knew. It wasn’t just a job - it was my life – and it shaped me into the person I am today.

Transitioning out of the service can be difficult for some men and women because they’re saying goodbye to a way of life and returning to the civilian world. Some of these folks, like myself, may have spent their entire adult lives in the service, so the civilian world may seem a little foreign to them.

I did my best to avoid being sheltered while in the Army. I was active and engaged with the local community, my children played sports, and I attended social functions and school events, but for the better part of the day my life and my mind were firmly entrenched in the military.

Read More

MEET REGIONAL MANAGER & VETERAN EMANUEL SEPULVEDA

Posted by Daniel Sloan on Aug 15, 2016 5:51:49 AM

Emanuel “Manny” Sepulveda is a key player in Trident’s military and veteran education initiatives. As a Regional Manager of Strategic Military and Community Relations for the Mid-Atlantic Region, Sepulveda works with men and women with a military background who are seeking to further their education. As someone who’s made the same transition in the past, he understands the preparation needed to translate their success to the civilian world.

Born in Puerto Rico and raised in Hoboken, New Jersey, Sepulveda enlisted in the Navy in 1988. Throughout his time in the Navy, he earned two Navy Marine Corps Commendation Medals, nine Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals, and various unit and campaign awards. He served on submarine duty in the Mediterranean and the Arctic and time as a counselor recruiter.

Read More

HOW VULNERABLE IS THE UNITED STATES TO A MAJOR CYBER ATTACK?

Posted by Dr. Pietro Savo on Aug 5, 2016 11:31:30 AM

The United States government hired a team of hackers, instructing them to exploit flaws in the Pentagon’s Cyber Systems. Due to their actions, a system penetration occurred over 130 times. After these “attacks,” the Pentagon will assess the damage and develop countermeasures against them – and then the cycle starts over as the hackers start to look for more flaws to assess. Cyber security is a never-ending process.

While we have sophisticated systems, we also have sophisticated enemies requiring sophisticated defense and offensive methodology.

Read More

Topics: Information Systems, Military Education, Veteran Education, Cybersecurity, College of Health and Human Services